Hello from Happy As Larry

Monday, 27 July 2009

Hello and welcome to Happy As Larry.

What the...?

What, you may ask, is Happy as Larry. It’s a good question and one you’re well within your rights to ask.

Essentially, Happy As Larry is a blog about Exeter City FC. And, er, that’s it really.

HAL (official acronym) came about because there’s only so many time I can indulge in my love of the Grecians without pushing my luck.

Let’s back up a minute as it probably helps if I explain who I am.

Hi, I’m Gary. You must be the reader. Pleased to meet you.

I do lots of things online both for work and pleasure (quiet at the back), and the latter part of that is football writing.

You can find me at Soccerlens or co-hosting the weekly twofootedtackle podcast (which starts up again next week) with Chris Nee. I also blog about stuff at the imaginatively titled garyandrews.net.

I also talk about Exeter City. A lot. After a few chats with Chris at twofootedtackle, he suggested creating a specific Exeter City blog to sit on the twofootedtackle network.

And HAL is that.

Why the...?

So why, you may ask, is it called Happy as Larry. That’s a good question and one you’re also well within your rights to ask.

It isn’t, contrary to what you may assume, anything to do with an Exeter City player called Larry. It has everything to do with an Exeter City player called Dean Moxey.

Just under five years ago, Deano fired a forty-five yard strike against Doncaster Rovers in the second round of the FA Cup to set up a tie against Manchester United; a tie that saved the club from their debts.

That was cool. What was even cooler was Deano’s post-match Match of the Day interview. "Looked up, hit it, ball dropped in, Happy as Larry." Both goal and interview are below.


How the...?

So what can you expect on here. Well, all things Exeter City, for a start.
What won’t be happening on here is merely parroting the daily ECFC news from whatever source it comes from.

Face it, if you’re a big enough Exeter City fan to be searching out an online blog, chances are you’ll already be up to date with the latest City news. And I live in London, so chances are you’re more up to date with the Exeter City news than I am.

What will be on here is occasional ill-informed musings on City. Opinion, basically (come off it, I’m a fan blog. Do you REALLY expect me to be breaking the news ahead of the papers. Especially with a day job, other writing and other such stuff). And it won’t exactly be daily. Quality, not quantity, la.

But I’d like to think it’s reasonably well-informed opinion. After all, part of my life is talking about football, so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that I can write coherently on my chosen team.

Plus, it will be biased. Biased as hell. I try my best to be neutral when I write elsewhere (you want a piece on why Torquay United could be this season’s surprise package? If the price is right, I’m your man. I have a tea habit to support).

But on here. Well, what can a man do on his own fan blog if not bias? Indeed so.

So that’s it. You’re probably none-the-wiser but I do hope you’ll stop by again. I enjoyed this, I hope you did do. Let’s build a beautiful relationship here.

Gary

0 comments:

Happy As Larry

This is an Exeter City fan blog by Gary Andrews, covering news, views and action from the real St. James' Park.

Come on you Grecians!

twofootedtackle Blog Network

Happy As Larry is part of twofootedtackle Blog Network.


  © Blogger template Leaving by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP